I use Ubuntu (a modern Linux distribution) as my main work station. Everything worked fine until I upgraded from version 14.10 to 15.04 of the OS. At this point strange things started to happen. After working for an hour or two my environment would freeze and stop responding altogether. Neither Ctrl-Alt-Del nor Ctrl-Alt-Backspace would produce any reaction. I couldn't connect to the machine remotely as well. Only hard reset would take me out of this state.
Not an uncommon task in multithreaded programming - what if you want to terminate a background thread, which is blocked at the moment, and then to make sure it has actually exited. In .NET, you can do the following:
What JVM-based web framework to choose? There seems to be so many out in the big world, and all claim to be better than the rest. Some examples of the frameworks of which I am personally aware:
Earlier I wrote about issues with the new offer from Google - the "Inbox" mail service. Recently Google released updates for its Inbox web and Android clients. As a result, it works almost perfectly. In particular:
val values in Scala are, by specification, const, or final in Javaspeak. That means once assigned, they cannot be re-assigned. This doesn't mean that the assignment has to be something dull or simple. In fact, you can have a large piece of code doing all sorts of calculations with the result assigned to your value. Do it like this:
When it comes to SQL queries, there are two ways you can execute them from your program, whether it targets Android or not. One is ad hoc - create an SQL statement that finds your data (or manipulates it), with all the parameters of the actual query clauses already embedded in it. For example:
I was writing a piece of code in Scala, which was supposed to de-serialize some Java object, previously serialized elsewhere. However, I kept seeing exceptions like these:
Recent versions of Idea (14 at the time of writing) play along quite nicely with SBT (Simple Build Tool - not so simple in fact). It can load project definitions, even when multiple subprojects are defined, and work with them. Unfortunately, it does the reading only once, when you import the project into the IDE. If you update your definitions afterwards, for example, when you add a new dependency, Idea might not be aware of the change. How to fix that?
I wrote earlier regarding the new product from Google - the Google Inbox. GI is still work in progress, so some features present in the familiar GMail are absent or broken. I counted the "mute" functionality among them, because there was no obvious menu for it. Mute allows you to ignore conversations, which you don't particularly care about. This can be very useful when you are subscribed to various mailing lists.
I gave Eclipse its fair chance. To be honest, I gave it more than one chance over the years. Each and every time it was a disappointment. It is actually amazing how broken the beast is. I tried various version and every time I tried to do anything that was even slightly out of simple Java editing using Eclipse' own project format, the thing failed in the most miserable way. For example, I tried repeatedly to install Android plugin so that I could write code for the platform.